The Bible has a lot of Promises that God has given us. So wonderful!. It’s especially interesting to learn how Jesus grew while He lived on earth. If Jesus grew that way, then we can grow that way in our faith. Grow in Jesus
Some people may like to pick a verse and memorize it. Or do a “deep dive” [study the verse]. What to do? Choose a verse you like. I choose a verse from Book of Luke.
Luke 2:52 “As Jesus grew taller, he continued to grow in wisdom. God was pleased with him and so were the people who knew him.” (ERV)
I ask myself what this verse mean? I break it down and take each part alone.
- Jesus grew taller, or physically, or healthy.
- Jesus grew in wisdom, and in knowledge.
- Jesus more and more pleased God, or spiritually.
- Jesus also pleased people, and earned their respect.
Jesus grew in all these ways when He lived on earth, so we can grow this way also.
How do I make this verse meaningful to me? For me this verse means:
God wants me to grow physically, so I can be healthy for Him. Right now I am having some problems dealing with cancer, but I want to be as healthy as I can and live for Him.
God wants me to grow in wisdom, to learn things for Him. God wants me to more and more please Him, grow spiritually. God wants me to also please people, by earning their respect.
By memorizing and studying this verse, I find God wants me to learn by growing in Him. Jesus grew physically. He became wise. He pleased God and people liked him. God wants me to be like Jesus. So I can grow in these four ways as Jesus did. All of it is to grow in Him. Grow our faith in Jesus.
The Bible tells the story of Jesus’ birth in different gospels. Matthew 1:18-25 and 2:1-18. Luke 1:26-38 and 2:1-21. For this devotional, I am using only Matthew 1:18-25 and Luke 1:26-38 and these verses are found below. These verses tell stories from Mary’s and Joseph’s perspective. I found four, amazing similarities between their stories:
- Both Mary and Joseph are visited by angels. An angel appears to Mary. An angel came to Joseph in a dream. Communication with angels was extremely rare.
- Both Mary and Joseph were told by the angels, “Do not be afraid.” They were to be married and found out that Mary was pregnant by the Holy Spirit. These were unusual circumstances to say the least.
- Both Mary and Joseph accepted what the angel had told them. What faith!
- Both were told to name the baby Jesus. He will save his people from their sins.
Matthew 1:21. “She will give birth to a son, You will name him Jesus. Give him that name because He will save his people from their sins.” (ERV)
Jesus is our hope. Named by angels, He was born for us, for you, for me. We can come to know Jesus as our Savior. Jesus comes into our hearts and saves us from our sins. We do not have to be afraid. God is with us. Amen. Continue reading